Summer 2012: Must-Haves
Sunny days are here again and summer is fast approaching! Dr. Magovern has assembled a fantastic list of must-haves to keep your skin protected from the sun and glowing all summer long.
- Glytone Exfoliating Body Lotion SPF 15*—leaves skin smooth and bright.
- Chocolate Sun Organic Sunless Tanning—available at Mind Body Manhattan.
- At-home sunless tanning products—Fake Bake Self-Tanning Lotion* is a new favorite, as is St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse.
- Solar Protection Formula LipTect SPF 45 Lip Balm—I love this!
- Clarisonic Mia Sonic Skin Cleansing System*—will give you a deep clean and get off all of the sunblock, sweat and dirt of the summer.
- A Vitamin C Product, like Obagi Professional-C Serum 15%*, to boost the effectiveness of your sunscreen and to prevent and repair sun damage—apply after cleansing, before moisturizer and sunscreen.
- Daily Sunscreen for Face: EltaMD UV Daily SPF 40* for normal or dry skin types or try their UV Clear SPF 46* if you are more acne-prone.
- Daily Splurge for Face: NeoCutis Journée BioRestorative Day Cream with PSP*. A lightweight, tinted, anti-aging cream, nicely formulated with antioxidants and growth factors, and has an SPF 30 to boot.
- Sunscreen for Beach + Vacation: EltaMD Pure Broad-Spectrum SPF 47* (great for sensitive skin) or their UV Lotion SPF 30+* (more moisturizing and comes with in an easy-to-use pump), Blue Lizard Sport SPF 30+* (great for the price), La Roche Posay Anthelios 60 Body Milk Sunscreen.
- Sunscreen for Babies + Kids: Blue Lizard Sensitive/Baby SPF 30+*, EltaMD Pure Broad-Spectrum SPF 47* (chemical and paraben-free).
- Colorescience Pro Sunforgettable Mineral Powder Brush SPF 30—such a fun product and perfect for summer. Perfect for reapplications throughout the day—throw it in your beach bag or purse.
- Sun Protective Bathing Suits and Clothing: UV Skinz is a great place for kids’ suits and hats.
- A Wide-Brimmed Hat (3-4 inches), available at Gum Tree.
- Superfoods: Fruits and vegetables rich with nutrients and anti-oxidants, whole grains and legumes for fiber, nuts and proteins with Omega-3s, and green tea. A few excellent recipes here.
*All products with asterisks are available at Manhattan Dermatology and, through July 31, we are offering 20% off all sunscreen. Come by to stock up—we’re open Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.