Not all sunscreens are equal.
Look for higher percentages of zinc oxide or titanium dioxide (the physical blockers) or stabilized avobenzone (the chemical blocker). If you’re still burning or getting too much color despite proper application, it’s time to switch to a different sunscreen.
Here are some of our favorites, hand-picked for the summer, and now available at Manhattan Dermatology. And, through July 31, all sunscreens are 20% off! Drop by anytime, Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm.
For the Face Everyday:
- EltaMD UV Daily SPF 40—great moisturizing base, good for normal-to-dry skin. ($24)
- EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46—perfect for acne, rosacea-prone, or more oily skin. ($29)
- EltaMD UV Physical SPF 41—tinted, matte finish. Chemical-free—perfect for sensitive skin. ($27)
- Blue Lizard Face SPF 30—ideal for our kids or the budget-conscious. Great protection with moisturizer. ($11.99 for 3oz, $16.99 for 5oz)
- NeoCutis Journée BioRestorative Day Cream with PSP—an amazing anti-aging product with antioxidants, growth factors and sun protection (SPF 30). Can be used as a daily moisturizer—it’s also tinted and lightweight! Great for summer and a true favorite. ($120)
- Oldie but goodie: SkinCeuticals Ultimate UV Defense SPF 30—one of Dr. Mag’s favorites. Moisturizing and elegant. ($37).
For the Beach/Outdoors/Body:
- EltaMD Pure Broad-Spectrum SPF 47—amazing protection, lightweight, sheer finish, fragrance and paraben-free. ($22)
- EltaMD UV Lotion SPF 30+—more moisturizing, with an easy-to-use pump. ($28)
- Blue Lizard Sport SPF 30+—a nice price point. Good for the weekend warriors who go through a tube fast. ($11.99 for 3oz, $16.99 for 5oz)
- Blue Lizard Sensitive SPF 30+—chemical-free, my favorite for our babies and those with ultra-sensitive skin. It will rub in, I promise. ($11.99 for 3oz, $16.99 for 5oz)